When we talk about skincare and nutrition, it’s easy to spot why it’s important to keep the toxic products to a minimum. However, when talking about our dental routine and oral health, the need for natural products can often go overlooked.
With hundreds of products on the market, all targeting common dental issues (from bad breath and yellow teeth, to more serious issues like gingivitis) it’s easy to become overwhelmed with the options and not thoroughly consider the ingredients used in these products. Our oral health is an integral part of overall well-being and shouldn’t be overlooked when it comes to recognizing and eliminating toxins.
Top Toxic Ingredients Found in Oral Care
If you’re looking to be more conscientious of the toxic ingredients in your dental routine, here are a few common ones to keep an eye out for:
- Fluoride. Technically considered a drug and can lead to fluorosis.
- Sodium lauryl sulfates. A detergent used for foaming that can lead to canker sores in the mouth.
- Carrageenan. Used to thicken toothpaste, but has also been linked to gastrointestinal inflammation
- Propylene glycol. Used to soften cosmetic products, but has also been linked to damage of the liver, heart, and central nervous system.
- Ethyl alcohol. Used to kill bacteria, but will destroy all bacteria in the mouth, even the good kind.
Healthy Alternatives for Dental Care
While it might not seem like an issue to use a few of these chemicals on the teeth, it is important to consider their effects when entering the body through unintentional swallowing or absorption through the mucus membranes of the mouth. If you're looking to eliminate toxins from your dental routine, these ingredients can be swapped out for natural, more body-friendly ingredients.
A few simple alternatives are toothpaste powders free of all bad agents used for sweetening and binding the product, as well as alcohol-free mouthwash so that you don’t have to give up that fresh feeling. Check out Birch Babe’s all natural and organic collection of dental care products (yes, we even have a bamboo toothbrush!).
Our goal is to help keep our bodies and the planet healthy and clean and hope you find what works best for your personal dental routine. Every little swap makes a big difference!